Saturday 10 September, 2011

Shocked Words


                                           ¼?kcjk;s gq, 'kCn)

Hindi poem by Leela Dhar Jagudi 

Translation in English by G P Bahuguna 

 
One day the shocked words rallied
And began to protest,

Save us!!!

We have been cut off from places here and there
removed from the lines
Replaced either by our substitutes
Or been ruled out totally .

They included Mr. Taciturn, Mr. Defector and Mr. Avatar incarnate
joined by words of all kind-the ageless and immortal, the rich and peers of their time.
Some were infected by rust, some were cut open and torn
Anger writ large on their bearded face,
They were figures of disorder complete.
The Deprived Virtue was leading them
Protesting that the evil deed had outgrown like wild weed
The heavyweight Sin also stood aghast with them
Complaining that nobody bothered about him now.
There were host of words all around which had a deeper past than the ocean
But were kept out from the moral code of languages.
They were neither relevant in morning nor in evening or on the day.
They were neither cloud nor hailstorm, or dewdrops even
They were a confused lot of shocked words
Unorganized yet demanding security.

Some was seasoned cunning totally bosom- freak
Some was over used and spent up ; others looked sound but could hardly walk
Some were colorless, while the others were soaked in blood
Some were confused, the other did not understand at all.

Sitting close to Mute were a bunch of Common genders
Integrity looked clumsy, miserable and un-touchable
When I inquired where was Quality
She told me he has changed into Packing Case
Sealed with brand name and put on sale
He is no more his old self Pure Quality.
He simply changes into colors and moves on
I have been raped time and again in his presence
Everybody uses me as fashion of his time
I am continuing to lose my identity.
I noticed that the Rape did not figure
among the shocked words anywhere
I screamed, ‘where is assassination'
She is busy in operation ’, replied one innocent and harmless looking Word,
Crippled by upper and lower limbs both,
and neck drooping in weakness.
-She is rarely seen in the group of Languages now
Keeping human tendencies in her grip she lives under the protection of involved persons.
She may dictate anybody to become killer whenever she wanted
Justice is in her custody now.”
Then introduced himself –‘I am Amity , here.
I tried my best to build up friendship and brotherhood
But the Society has used me as Mask
Planted me like ammunition
I am totally broken
No use to take me to any doctor now
If you can arrange one head for me along with arms and legs which could be easily detached
I can muster up the strength of a punch in me.

Those who pushed me forward
They were a few Prefix and Suffixes .
Some says he is Dialogue; the other says he is communication
And some said she was An Appeal.
But the communication has entirely his personal problems
While the Dialogue wants to get established
The Appeal has faced rejections many times
No one was capable to create a climate for Friendship

I got perturbed
I spoke to my Language in secret
I had an argument even.
On one occasion she stripped me naked by her domestic abuses
Then threw me out in the street in presence of neighbors with street-words
I was surrounded by sarcastic words from all sides
My soul bore deep marks of abuses on it.

My own language seasoned by experience of changing professions and assisted by other languages from neighborhoods and across the country, advised me thus-
If you want to be up-to-date you have to face these challenges
The conscience shall have to be grown like potatoes in the field.

Why should you visit cemetery everyday?
And bring these dead bodies with you?
Sit quietly like a gentleman
If you try to interfere too much you will get killed, that is another danger
You are struggling yourself to live
And you are trying to revive them, why?

A new character is in fashion these days
very convenient to handle
which tells you to remain tactfully mute
Don’t you ever believe that Defector, he is a politician.
Mr Avatar incarnate is exploring his own possibilities.
Don’t go after the dead characters
Look for the one, who is active with time speed,
Who can influence you at one go
And who can dare say continuously – watch and wait
But will never disclose who was there to watch and wait
And what patience was needed to achieve that
After all, how long it deserved waiting?
Until and unless the other part also reciprocates
The Defector will never tell you
To unite your strength with experience and talent
And to watch and wait only those who is advancing towards you.
The greater a person's capacity to hold power
The more capable he is to survive all times.
The eunuch are born in all ages
Why should the Common Genders worry?
They are in use even today.
And tell sanctity not to adopt harlot's character
How long she will contain them individually
When all of them want to woo her.
You had raised much uproar,
What has become of the faith who broke values?
Why the Rape will not be encouraged this way?
It is also committing the same breach of faith
He is also at par in breaking some value
And don’t call it is murder but resistance, which everybody has to put-up for survival.
Translation into English by Govind Prasad Bahuguna


1 comment:

  1. this is more impressive than face of news... and i also feel that it has partial reflection of the face of news..

    ReplyDelete